Leighton Linslade Inspiring Music Centre
Leighton Linslade Inspiring Music Centre’s base is Vandyke Upper School, Leighton Buzzard. This music centre provides bespoke singing and instrumental activities for children and adults with Special Educational Needs (SEND).
When is it open?
They offer activities on Saturday mornings and are open for 30 weeks per academic year:
- autumn term: 16 September to 2 December 2017
- spring term: 6 January 2018 to 24 March 2018
- summer term: 21 April to 14 July 2018
We schedule times around the academic year, but anyone can use a centre - they're open to people of all ages and standards, from beginner upwards, with a wide range of opportunities to develop musicianship and playing skills. For most people, music has its greatest impact when played with others.
Timetable for 2018
9:30am to 10:10am
- Keyboard 1 all levels in keyboard room A79
- Junior Band in main room A 78
- Ukulele 1 in 6th form room
- String Ensemble in the large practice room
- Beginner Guitar in A80 guitar room
- Mini Music in practice room 3
10:10am to 10:50am
- Keyboard 2 all levels in keyboard room A79
- Beginner Woodwind in main room A 78
- Folk Group 1 in 6th form room
- African Drumming in the drama studio
- Brass Ensemble in the large practice room
- Intermediate Guitar in A80 guitar room
- Beginner Woodwind in practice room 1
- Making Music in practice room 3
10:50am to 11:10am
11:10am to 11:50am
- Voices Together in keyboard room A79
- Swing / Concert Band in main room A 78
- Reach for the Stars SEN Choir in 6th form room
- Advanced guitar in A80 guitar room
11:50am to 12:30pm
- Advanced Ukulele in keyboard room A79
- Jazz Orchestra in main room A 78
- Mish Mash Music SEN group in 6th form room
- Theory Grades 1 and 2 in the large practice room
- Guitar / Folk Group in A80 guitar room
- Theory Grade 2 plus in practice room 3
Joining a centre
You can visit an Inspiring Music Centre for a free session, have a look around, speak to the tutors, listen to the music and generally make sure you are comfortable with the set up, before signing up to join.
The gates are open from 9:15am allowing time for people to be dropped off and to park. There is ample parking in the playground at the school.
Where to go on arrival
If you are coming to the centre for the first time, please go to the main doors and speak to a member of the Inspiring Music team who will show you around the venue and where the group sessions take place.
There is a break from 10:50am to 11:10am. In the break, there is a tuck shop and hot refreshments for parents and staff.
Who to contact
The Centre Head is Debbie Nicholls.
Telephone: 0300 300 6604