The Brass Academy courses in 2018
Outstanding courses for brass players
The Brass Academy runs outstanding and inspirational music courses for brass players aged 8-18 who are Grade 1 to Grade 8 standard and beyond.
Our guiding principle is that children learn and improve most when they are engaged, happy and motivated: and our tutors ensure that this is precisely what happens on our courses. We work very hard and we have a lot of fun – usually at the same time!
The Workshop is an advanced parallel course designed to stretch and challenge brass players who have passed their Grade 8 exam or Diploma. It runs alongside our two Summer Courses.
When and where?
- Easter Course: 9 to 13 April 2018 at Mill Hill School, London
- Summer Course: 30 July to 3 August 2018 Yehudi Menuhin School, Surrey
- Summer Course: 20 to 24 August 2018 at Purcell School, Hertfordshire
What do the courses involve?
Daily small ensembles with others of a similar standard; instrument-specific masterclasses; sectional rehearsals; tutor demonstrations; a massed ensemble and a competition All solely for brass players and focus on their particular requirements.
Two hours of sport and team activities every afternoon, to help the children let their hair down, build friendships and have fun.
Attention from tutors who have been very carefully chosen from amongst the finest performers in the UK. They combine immense technical knowledge and musicianship with huge enthusiasm and the ability to pass on their skills to the next generation of musicians.
The tutors for 2018
Tutors for 2018 include:
- Philippe Schartz (Principal Trumpet with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales)
- Paul Beniston (Principal Trumpet with the London Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Simon Morgan (horn player at The Lion King in London)
- Christian Jones (Principal Bass Trombone at Opera North)
- Pete Smith (Principal Tuba of the Philharmonia Orchestra),
- Lee Tsarmaklis (Principal Tuba of the London Philharmonic Orchestra).
Children can attend as day or residential pupils. For those staying on a residential basis, fun activities are arranged each evening, under the caring supervision of qualified staff who do their very best to make sure everyone is happy and enjoying themselves.
The week culminates in a stunning concert for family and friends, where the children get to show what a huge amount can be achieved in a relatively short time.
£565 residential, £410 for Easter Course bookings made by 2 February 2018 and for both Summer Course bookings made by 11 May 2018. Thereafter £595 residential, £445 day.